Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Just Surviving? Think Again

Have you asked someone lately how they where doing and they responded, “Just trying to survive?” If so, then you have an opportunity to preach the good news. Tell them that their goal should be more than just surviving; their goal should be to thrive. Confused? To survive could simply mean to just be alive in it simplest state---barely getting by or merely existing. We are called to do more then just get by- we are called to thrive, to flourish, succeed, advance, and prosper despite what is going on around us.

I know this may be a hard message for someone who has been out of work and/or under employed for a while. However, receive it and believe it we must. I would rather lay my head on my pillow at night with hope (the hope that God’s Word gives us) and my neck stretched out (in expectation) then to lay down with doom and gloom. You see, I have seen the Word “work” when it is “worked” time and time again. I have seen immediate miracles and I have seen prayers that were answered over the course of days, weeks, months, and years. God is good, and more importantly God is faithful to keep His Word.

When we become born again and accept Jesus as Lord of our life we are made holy. We are saved not by our good works, but to do good works and to live a holy life. As we enter into this covenant relationship with God, we are no longer subject to this world---we become separated from this world, set part. Now don’t get deep with me when I use the word “Holy”. Holiness does not mean not wearing make up or wearing only dresses. Holiness is not what you do to your outer body, but an inner belief that manifest in actions which are pleasing to God.

In John 17:14, Jesus states in prayer to God that we are not of this world, just like he was not. He goes on to ask God not to take us out of this world, but to keep us from evil. And no, He was not just talking about the “scary” little devil, He was talking about evil of not having any money, food; the evil of not being able to pay our bills or the evil of accepting or thinking that you are subject to this world and all the “evil” that goes on in it. What is so cool to me is that Jesus was specifically praying for His disciples here, but in verse 20 He says, “Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word…” Wow, we are included in that prayer. Jesus prayed and is stilling praying for us. (Romans 8:34) With Him on our side, how could we fail?
We are separated and cut away from the effects of these times. We thrive and prosper in tough times. Repeat after me, “We are not subject to the economy; we flourish in spite of what is happening.” Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment